It's odd watching the Tim Burton/Joel Schumacher Batman films
TMC
2011-10-18 01:30:18 UTC
http://realwrestlecrap.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=offtopic&action=display&thread=388240

It's really odd when you watch these movies as they're supposed to be
the same series of films..the same franchise yet I don't know of any
series of movies change as much as these do between each film.

Batman Returns has a little bit of the 1989 original's atmosphere but
almost everything else is different...Gotham City looks nothing like
it did in Batman! Then a new director comes along and again its
completely different...new Gotham...new atmosphere...new score! Yet
it's supposed to be the same franchise...

It's just funny watching the 1st film in the series compared to the
last...compare them to Spider-Man or Superman, where the 1st and last
films are still of a similar theme.

So I'm just curious has any other film franchise changed so
drastically in between movies?

From what I understand based on interviews by Joel Schumacher, his
films were intended to be a reboot, but they didn't want to put people
off who were attached to the old films. Their solution was to keep
Alfred (Michael Gough) and Gordon (Pat Hingle), and drop a subtle line
about Catwoman in Forever. Outside of that, it's all a new universe.
Gotham looks completely different, the theme music is different, the
killer of Batman's parents is referenced as being an unknown and
faceless individual, Harvey Dent is white, etc.

So you see, they're not really connected. Warner Bros. was just very
coy about the fact that they'd rebooted the Batman franchise. They got
away with it, too. People still consider them sequels, and Batman
Forever made more money than Returns.

I think that's due to the fact the Batman has so many different ways
to interpret the franchise. You can go down the campy road with stuff
like the '60s version or Brave and the Bold or go down the Miller road
which Burton's and Nolan's universe does.

Not sure you can go too dark with someone like Spider-man or Superman
unless it's something like Death of Superman. Certainly these new
reboots of the franchises are going to attempt that.

I never liked that Burton changed designers between the 1st two
movies. Anton Furst's Gotham was pretty remarkable and thus epic - Bo
Welch (Burton's designer on EDWARD SCISSORHANDS and BEETLEJUICE)
delivered a more Burtonesque look to a darker and creepier story.

The latter 2 movies were.......jarring enough to not bug me as much,
honestly. Even seeing Burton's name as a producer wasn't enough to
make me realize REAL QUICK that Schumacher was gonna do something much
different.

And boy, did he ever. O_o
Adam H. Kerman
2011-10-18 03:08:47 UTC
Post by TMC
http://realwrestlecrap.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=offtopic&action=display&thread=388240
It's really odd when you watch these movies as they're supposed to be
the same series of films..the same franchise yet I don't know of any
series of movies change as much as these do between each film.
And then for something completely different: The Dark Knight takes place
in Chicago!
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2011-10-18 03:38:55 UTC
Post by Adam H. Kerman
Post by TMC
http://realwrestlecrap.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=offtopic&action=display&thread=388240
It's really odd when you watch these movies as they're supposed to be
the same series of films..the same franchise yet I don't know of any
series of movies change as much as these do between each film.
And then for something completely different: The Dark Knight takes place
in Chicago!
Don't forget to count the 1940s film and the 1966 film!

Actually you could make pretty much the same case for the Bond films.
--
------
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..
Madara0806
2011-10-18 18:41:20 UTC
I saw the 1966 BATMAN movie on a double feature with THE RETURN OF MR.
MOTO, which starred Henry Silva and was quite different from the 1930s
Mr. Moto films with Peter Lorre.
Mr. Hole the Magnificent
The 3rd Nolan film was/is filmed in Pittsburgh.
Howard Brazee
2011-10-18 12:59:40 UTC
Post by TMC
So I'm just curious has any other film franchise changed so
drastically in between movies?
We could go back to original source, where the first Batman comic
books had him using a pistol.

Or James Bond being a WWII Navy Commander, meaning he's about a
century old by now.

We have some Shakespeare updated to the 20th century or later. (and
filmed both ways)

I suppose The Wizard of Oz has had significant changes in how it has
been filmed - how many versions had Oz being a dream?

- James Madison
Will Dockery
2011-10-19 14:21:17 UTC
Post by Howard Brazee
Post by TMC
So I'm just curious has any other film franchise changed so
drastically in between movies?
We could go back to original source, where the first Batman comic
books had him using a pistol.
Or James Bond being a WWII Navy Commander, meaning he's about a
century old by now.
That would be a great chance to bring Sean Connery back for one last
story...
- James Madison
Steven L.
2011-10-18 21:20:05 UTC
Post by TMC
http://realwrestlecrap.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=offtopic&action=display&thread=388240
It's really odd when you watch these movies as they're supposed to be
the same series of films..the same franchise yet I don't know of any
series of movies change as much as these do between each film.
Batman Returns has a little bit of the 1989 original's atmosphere but
almost everything else is different...Gotham City looks nothing like
it did in Batman! Then a new director comes along and again its
completely different...new Gotham...new atmosphere...new score! Yet
it's supposed to be the same franchise...
It's just funny watching the 1st film in the series compared to the
last...compare them to Spider-Man or Superman, where the 1st and last
films are still of a similar theme.
So I'm just curious has any other film franchise changed so
drastically in between movies?
J.J. Abrams' Star Trek movie was different from the way Star Trek was
portrayed in any of the previous movies. (The ship was twice as big,
the planet Vulcan had been destroyed along with Spock's mom, etc.)

But at least Abrams offered the excuse that we were watching Trek-type
events in a parallel universe (reminiscent of DC Comics'
Earth-One/Earth-Two model).

-- Steven L.